The Egmont Group have released a video interview with its Chair, Mrs. Hennie Verbeek-Kusters. In this 30 minute interview, Mr Keith Nuthall from Money Laundering Bulletin explores the impact of Covid-19 on AML/CFT systems with Mrs Verbeek-Kusters.
The Chair commented on the fact that all the FIU’s have had to adapt during the pandemic in order to continue their work and that despite the challenges of the pandemic the amount of information shared has not been impacted.
Areas such as child sexual abuse and exploitation have been examined with Covid in mind and subjects like terrorist financing, the misappropriation of public funds resulting from COVID-19 financial aid programs have been topics examined by FIUs.
Other topics that were discussed in the interview are listed below:
- The ECOFEL’s COVID-19 Virtual Roundtables
- The ECOFEL’s COVID-19 Best Practices Paper
- The Money Laundering of Serious Tax Crimes
- Child Abuse and Exploitation
- Trade-Based Money Laundering
- FIU Operational Independence and Autonomy
- Cooperation with organizations like the G20
A link to the source article that contains the interview can be found here.